Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An Artist's Style

May I take a moment to showcase the lovely art of Miss Andrea Cobb?



The colors in this one are fantastic--pink and light aqua has become one of my favorite color combos recently.



A beautifully interesting take on winter. I travelled halfway across the world to escape the snow this year, and now ironically I find myself missing it.



Yay for blue (my favorite color) and for the multicolored wings! And for the swirls everywhere--nothing makes me happy like a bunch of swirly designs.

I've already identified what one of my greatest challenges as an artist will be--learning to let go of reality, and depict things in a more abstract, illustrative manner. My art in the past has looked like this:



and this:



and though there's obviously nothing wrong with going for a more realistic look (though you'll have to excuse their imperfections--I drew them both in high school), I feel like that's all I really know how to do. That's why I'm really looking forward to exploring the more whimsical side of life and art as I move into the illustration program next semester. Hopefully, as I learn and am exposed to more, imagination and reality will mesh, and a unique style of my own will emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment